So I’m sitting and my ear starts to itch. Upon giving it a good pick, I find some ear wax. I become curious as to weather ear wax is in fact a wax and decide to do a check on wikipedia.
- No, ear wax is not real wax, its a mixture of sweat and very thick oils
- SC Johnson is listed, since they are a major wax producer
- SC Johnson lists Ziploc and other brands that they bought from Dow Chemical
- Dow Chemical was founded in Midland to take advantage of brine reserves, and originally produced chlorides and bromides
- After entering the polymer market, they were approached by Corning Glass for a joint venture to produce silicones
- Corning Glass invented fiber-optic cable as we know it
- Dow and Corning’s joint venture is named Dow Corning
- Dow Corning is the current owner of the Silly Putty patent, though it is distributed by Binney & Smith, it is named SILly putty because it is SILIcone based, it is also available as “Dow Corning 3179 Dilatant Compound”
- Dow Corning creates a way to produce polycrystaline silicon, spins process off in seperate devision, Hemlock Semiconductor
- Portion of Hemlock Semiconductor bought by Mitsubishi Materials Corp.
All that from an ear itch?